Saturday, September 22, 2012

Review: Speechless


Speechless
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret

Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.

Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.

But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.

Source: Netgalley (Thanks HarlequinTEEN!) 

My Thoughts:

This book really surprised me! I couldn't put this book down and nowadays that's very rare!

What I loved about this book is the fact that even though it deals with a lot of  issues like homophobia,bullying,feelings of guilt,friendship,self discovery,introspection and price of popularity I could always relate to the book and didn't find it to be too heavy and preachy. I never thought that the author was trying to teach us a lesson through this novel and I really liked that a lot.

Plot
Even though Chelsea's reasons for taking a vow of silence seemed a little silly at first.I prefer to think that she did it because she felt guilty.
The story is different and even though there aren't any "OMG what just happened ?" moments in this book, it was an interesting story that I didn't want to put down till the end.

Characters

I loved the secondary characters in this novel!

Andy and Asha were such great characters that I was dying to read more about them.It's nice to see such well rounded characters that are also diverse.Asha is an Indian girl and I loved the fact that Harrington didn't use any stereotypes.

Sam was a character I liked but couldn't fall in love with.I think his character needed to be a developed more.

I liked Noah too even though he barely had one line in the novel ,he left a deep impact.

Chelsea was a character that barely spoke but she had so much to say that I barely noticed that she wasn't speaking out aloud. I loved her sarcastic comments.I could really connect with Chelsea even when I didn't really like her.


Overall,this is a great contemporary novel.I highly recommend it.

I want to work at Rosie's! And eat one of Sam's tuna melts![Don't understand what that means? Read the novel!]

My Rating:


4.5/5

I want to work at Rosie's! 

And eat one of Sam's tuna melts!

6 comments:

  1. I have and arc of this that I'll be reading soon, so one really half to hear that you liked it so much. Sometimes I'm unsure if I'll like a contemporary story, especially one that deals with serious issues, because I like to get lost in the story and setting and sometimes I have a hard time doing that with contemporary. But Speechless definitely sounds like one of the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book pulled me right in too, although I never expected it to. It's not really my kind of book, but I ended up liking it nevertheless.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one too it was a great story and I also loved ow many serious an relatable issues it brought up. Chelsea grated on my nerves at first but the amount of character growth she goes through is great and made me admire her by the end. So I know what you mean that she's not a very likeable character for the most part but that's what makes the book so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Speechless, but I will have to add it to my TBR list. I love YA books that have deeper issues at its core but do not allow them to overpower the story. Thanks for the recommendation!

    s @ Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me happier with each new positive review that I read for Speechless. It is one that I have been excited about for a while now. The idea behind it is exceptional, and I am glad that the execution of it was just as exceptional. Can't wait to get my hands on this one. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They always say not to judge a book by its cover, and i have to use that phrase for this book defiantely. What lies within a rather plain and dull looking book is something quite brilliant, and i am pleased that i share similar views with you on this book because i LOVED it! Thank you for a great review that i am sure helps to promote Speechless even more. x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...