Thursday, October 6, 2011

Variant by Robison Wells


Variant
 Blurb:
Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.
He was wrong.
Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.
Where breaking the rules equals death.
But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible.

 

 Source: Netgalley(Thanks to HarperCollins )


 
Links:Amazon,BookDepository,Flipkart

Expectations: Pretty High!
My thoughts: 

Imagine...
You're stuck in an academy with people who aren't exactly mentally stable(some of them) and there's no adult supervision.Also,you can't get out .EVER. 
There are 4 major rules:
  1. No sex
  2. No violent fighting
  3. Do not try to escape
  4. No refusing punishments
You break any of these and you get detention.Doesn't sound so bad does it?
It is.Nobody ever returns from detention.

What will you do?



Whenever you have very high expectations of a book you are always somewhat disappointed.The main problem of this book is the fact that it starts off a little slow.

The concept is very good and pretty well executed but while I was reading it I kept thinking that this concept is not exactly fresh .(Doesn't it sound like Gone?)

But...when I was through approximately 50% of this book, it surprised me.I can't tell you how and why (THAT would be a major spoiler) but I was really glad that I didn't give up on this book after that.

One thing I really liked about this book is the fact that author had a valid reason for everything.For Example:Why don't all the children want to leave?Why aren't they motivated?Don't they care about thier freedom?What is wrong with the Society?
All these questions are answered in the book and I was actually quite satisfied with the answers.

Another thing I really liked about this book is the fact that the occupants are divided into groups or more accurately gangs.Havoc(the let's fight-at-the-drop-of-a-hat-gang),Society(Lets-follow-all-the-rules gang ) and Variant(the in-between gang).Just like when people in a normal school are divided into cliques ,the people in this school also try to divide themselves into groups so as there is some order. 

Now let's get to the main character...
Benson,the main character is fairly likable.He's smart and knows that he wants his freedom.NOTHING makes him loose his focus.I really liked that.

I liked Oakland(leader of Havoc) for some reason.Even though I thought he was a dumb guy who just wants to fight at first,he grew on me.

Overall,It's a nice read.Also,The ending was confusing and had me going I WANT THE SEQUEL!

My Rating:
(3/5)
GOOD

Variant

5 comments:

  1. This sounds alright. I was wondering if it was any good. I'm not sure if I'll find the plot believable with the questions you asked, but I'll still give it a try and see.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. High expectations are rough sometimes. Very rarely will you find the perfect book. I love that the author gave valid reasoning for the actions. I might give this a try in the future. Nice review!
    Thanks for stopping by The Bookish Babes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this and omg EPIC TWIST IS EPIC. Totally didn't see it coming. I was a little skeptical at first because I really thought it was just another escapist story, but OH NO. So much more!

    That ending was totally random, and her words were totally confusing and I need the next book right now hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It made absolutely no sense! I actually reread it like three times just to make sure I didn't read it wrong- by that point I was basically devouring everything so I thought I might have skipped something. But no, I read it all and I was SO confused. I just can't believe my luck: every time I read a book with a crazy cliffhanger, I swear I have to wait over a year for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about this book, and like you I have high expectations. The cover is amazing, the blurb is mysterious and I just think it will be great. Luckily for me, it is sitting on my Kindle ready to go. Don't you just love it when a book you are excited about is easily accessible? Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...