Sunday, September 16, 2012

ADULT Review : In A Fix



This book is an ADULT novel. It is not suitable for younger readers.

In a Fix (In a Fix #1)
 BLURB:
The start of an original new urban fantasy series starring human chameleon Ciel Halligan

Snagging a marriage proposal for her client while on an all-expenses-paid vacation should be a simple job for Ciel Halligan, aura adaptor extraordinaire. A kind of human chameleon, she’s able to take on her clients’ appearances and slip seamlessly into their lives, solving any sticky problems they don’t want to deal with themselves. No fuss, no muss. Big paycheck.

This particular assignment is pretty enjoyable... that is, until Ciel’s island resort bungalow is blown to smithereens and her client’s about-to-be-fiancé is snatched by modern-day Vikings. For some reason, Ciel begins to suspect that getting the ring is going to be a tad more difficult than originally anticipated.

Going from romance to rescue requires some serious gear-shifting, as well as a little backup. Her best friend, Billy, and Mark, the CIA agent she’s been crushing on for years—both skilled adaptors—step in to help, but their priority is, annoyingly, keeping her safe. Before long, Ciel is dedicating more energy to escaping their watchful eyes than she is to saving her client’s intended.

Suddenly, facing down a horde of Vikings feels like the least of her problems.

Source: Netgalley (Thanks Tor!!)

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this novel! I was smiling and laughing throughout the entire novel.

Linda Grimes introduces  a  new type of species that have abilities very similar to that of Mystique from X-men.(a.k.a the blue chick who can change her entire appearance and become  any other person) .It was interesting to read about a new type of paranormal creature. I wanted to know more about their history and how their abilities work but even though the author doesn't focus on that ,I wasn't disappointed.

The chameleon abilities of the characters led to a lot of hilarious instances that were a little hard to follow in the beginning because the author starts the novel with a bang (Literally!) but the after the first few pages I was able to keep up easily.I really liked the pace of this novel. There was never a dull moment and I never thought that things were happening too quickly.

The main character,Ciel was likable.She was flawed but I loved the fact that she wasn't perfect and I could easily relate to her insecurities. I was very amused with Ciel's relationship with her family.I hope I get to read more about her family in the sequel.

Billy is Ciel's pseudo-cousin. Basically he isn't related to Ciel but they've known each other since birth. I love Billy. He was such an awesome character.I'm on Team Billy! (I hope there's a Team Billy because I'm not very sure )

Mark was a character that needs a little more of a  backstory. Why does Ciel have a crush on him? What's so great about him? There were moments when some of my questions were answered but I'm not very satisfied with the answers. I have a feeling I could really start liking Mark if I just got to know him better.

So my only complain is  the lack of  a backstory. I want to know more about the characters. The characters need a little more depth.BUT... aside from this I have no complains. I haven't enjoyed a novel so much for a long time! I highly recommend this novel !

I loved this novel and would recommend it to everybody who loves a nice,light and fun read with an interesting and fresh story! I cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel!

My Rating:
4.5/5

GREAT FUN!

10 comments:

  1. what makes it not suitable for younger readers? excessive blood/sexual situations? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's classified as ADULT. It doesn't have a lot of sexual content but there is some sexual content...

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this book too. I agree that I want to know more about Mark too. I loved Billy!! He was so entertaining. At times Ceil bothered me. I thought she was a bit juvenile a lot of the time, but still a great character. Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds great! I love the idea of the characters being able to change their appearances like a chameleon. I've never read anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like I saw another review of this one and it was good too. You make it sound freaking awesome! I definitely am going to have to read this one in the future! I like that you've been reviewing more urban fantasy adult reads and are enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love books that make me laugh!

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen that cover before and was intrigued but don't think I've read what it was about before let alone a review . . . now I definitely need to add it to my TBR list - thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo yay for a new paranormal species! I think the chameleon abilities would make things very interesting, and I love when I stumble across a whole new mythology:) I'm such a big fan of urban fantasy, so I'm definitely putting this on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds awesome. I like the shape-shifting/chameleon aspect. Mystique was one of my favorites in the X-men movies - sadly, I have never read the comics, as graphic novels bore me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read a lot of adult fiction, but In a Fix has interested me from the first time that I saw it. I was lucky enough to win a copy of the book from the wonderful Evie at Bookish, and I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for your wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...